Tag Archives: Campinas

Azulejos – the Portuguese tiles everywhere in Brazil

Azulejos, the very typical Portuguese white and blue tilework, can still be found in several Brazilian cities, generally remnant from the colonial years. They began to arrive in the country around 1630 and were used to adorn churches, monasteries, palaces and other mansions. Check this series of images of azulejos seen in the states of Bahia, Rio, São Paulo and Maranhão.

Find here a brief but good history of the presence of azulejos in  the country (in Portuguese).

Photo by Eneas de Troya/Flickr, from Convento de São Francisco (Saint Francis Cloisters) in Salvador, Bahia, the biggest collection of azulejos in the country.
Vestry of the church of the Cloisters of São Francisco, in Salvador. Photo from Wikipedia

Continue reading Azulejos – the Portuguese tiles everywhere in Brazil