- one cafézinho ( a shot of coffee, no milk) cost 0.12 cruzeiro (the currency in the rocking seventies)
- one pão francês (the little bread Brazilians have for breakfast) was 0.04 cruzeiro
- If you had the combination of one cafézinho and one pãozinho four times a day, your minimal needs would have been met
- One family had in average four people
- One month has 30 days.
So: 30 X 4 X 4 X (0.12+0.04) = 76.80 cruzeiros = minimum wage
In other words: a family of four needed this amount to pay for this diet for one month. And that was exactly the value of the minimum monthly salary at the time.
Are you still with me?
Well, Vida Depois dos 50 updated this calculation. Today:
- one cafézinho is 0.75 real
- one pão francês is 0.30 real
- The other factors remain the same.
So: 30 X 4 X 4 X (0.75 + 0.30) = 504 reais, which is practically identical to the value of the minimum wage today.